Monday, May 21, 2018
Facebook has all your friends and associates, but not much tooling to collaborate with them. Everyone can project into the feed but there is little to no shared creation and most interaction is superficial. The “look at me, look at me” that FB is now instead needs to become let us –together — do something meaningful.
FB has APIs for independent developers; but such APIs don’t allow those developers to add real substance. Search is lame; and semantic relationships – how add? I would like tools to collaborate with my FB friends in shared interest groups. FB has groups. and Events. but needs joint writing and organization tools. Collaboration tools. What sort of collaboration tools? Use cases?
• mixing mongodb and irods probably better than usergrid?
• or hbase? https://hbase.apache.org/
• via GAE? https://cloud.google.com/appengine/
• Unix pipes philosophy… chain many small, focused pieces
• metadata metadata metadata
• mashup approach… https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mashup_(web_application_hybrid)
• Control! of your content… can export from FB but you lose some of the interconnections between it upon export and you lose the likes and comment threads
• backup of your content
• very fine grained control of what shared with who – and make it super easy to apply that control
• your content, many sites, but under control of you, not sites
• so you can get your data out!
• do no evil
• Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, blogger type sites, medium, youtube… one place to access all that content from standpoint of that which is yours
• Word track changes; real time collaborative writing/
• contact mgmt – relationship management . crm
• tagging, and tree categories
• the pain of tagging and adjusting access control is that takes time and work to apply that meta data to your content… so it needs to be minimized in the effort it takes
• one content to multi- user-defined trees
• elasticsearch or other high power search
• trust networks https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Trust_network
• “The nonprofit/voluntary sector is generally lacking tools for sharing and accessing best practices.”
• “thing is, a deep structured long term organizer seems like a fundamental need to me, to avoid being like ‘point-driven’ and short term. I know I’m not sounding like I’m making a lot of sense but I think having a place to store relationships long term is important.” – golda
• Cooperation site use cases
• Cooperation site design
• onenote style interface somewhere!!
• https://dev.onenote.com/ – OneNote API
• Meta !
• speed is key
• morph different views from same content
• a deep structured organizer (for long term) of content; integrated with sharing/collaboration enablement
• Meta Me and Meta We
• beat me to it? http://metame.io/ the social data wallet, cool landing page graphics if you mouse around
• meta co-op
• open source
• https://zapier.com/ for individuals, front end it?
• zoca.io – I own it . (zoca is Spanish for square/plaza. zocalo all taken, means main square, but being merely a plaza / square and not necessarily the main one is actually better imho)
want logo of Z with dots at corners and ends
• my photos, videos, notes, lists of links, references, recipes, conversations, brain dumps, brainstorms, mindmaps – I want my own central node to keep track of them, and to inventory where else I have sent/shared each piece. I don’t necessarily want to be responsible for storage and backup tho.
• I want to fly over and then into my stuff, sipping from this and sharing that and adding to this and organizing this sub section and then using this other section in a totally different context.
• look at Zapier alternatives https://www.google.com/search?q=zapier+alternatives
• maybe a Chrome app – Overlay – overlay your metadata over all else
• once have data in, need machine learning helper… ai… watson?
• key value pairs
• Feature Brainstorming…
○ News feed of posts a la FB
○ News feed categorizable – including news, jobs, etc.
○ Community bibliography
○ Community links
○ Ability to add yourself and credentials to news’ contacts
○ Advice for press
○ Jupyter Hub integration?
○ System for reporting inappropriate posts via community self-policing
○ System to recognize members who contribute the most
○ System for having liked content be shown higher/more often
○ System for sharing data sets?
○ Irods integration?
○ Ability to have group chat?
○ Conversation threads on posts
○ Favoriting of posts with tags to categorize
○ Fine grained controls for who to share with
○ Real-time shared editing of docs?
○ User profiles – academically oriented?
○ Suggest tags feature
○ Suggest content by looking at RSS feeds for news
○ Calendar? For conference and other events?
○ Community FAQ
○ Full logging of changes
○ Profiles to have what I’m working on and how about this feature?
○ Upload papers and other files
○ Import contacts from other sites
○ Personal links section in addition to community links
○ Not just for academics – also citizen scientists, press, other interested parties
○ Extend to all interest groups… all “communities?”
So I want to work on this:
○ a deep structured organizer (for long term) of content; integrated with sharing/collaboration enablement
the term deep structured organizer coming from you.
I started collecting more notes here:
as I try to figure out what to actually build.
I scored the domain name zoca.io – so I guess I shall build it there.
I still hope for any input — reminders even of what you have shared previously — about what “it” should exactly be.
what should a
○ it: a deep structured organizer (for long term) of content; integrated with sharing/collaboration enablement
look like in a first try?
for me ‘it’ starts with the data structures, the main thing to me is the vocabulary of relations between nodes, the verbs, including things like ‘implements’, ‘inspired by’, ‘example of’, ‘interested in’, ‘show to’. I used a sql database with a relations table, any graph db would work too. categories and ideas can be things too.
basically I see it as a way of digitizing intention, long term threads and projects; also like having your own projection of information space.
but the simple approach is like a faceted organizer, so basically showing whatever selection of things are tied to the current node, maybe up to 2 steps out. some of the verbs will have to do with collaboration and some of the nodes have to do with people, and a context could be a tuple of nodes, like ‘myself and Dave’ should show all the stuff we are collaborating on.
I think its critical to have it be driven by the data schema, with as much of the relationships as possible in the data rather than in the code.
Would love to get together on this and set up a structure that drives it forward. I realized that tying things to definite times and doing pair coding is really effective in moving things forward. (So rather than discussing, we could pair work on it at specific times, as well as it being primarily your baby. I don’t need ownership or direction of it. I’ll have opinions but won’t be offended when you ignore them 🙂 )
Ya! for sure. I will check in to plan when once I get some moments to think
Need to change a Drupal 6 user password in your database using the command line or a tool like PhpMyAdmin or MySQL Workbench? Use SQL like this:
update `users` set `pass` = MD5('NewPassword') where `uid` = 1;
update `users` set `pass` = MD5('NewPassword') where `mail` = 'useremailaddress';
In the first case I’m updating the password for the Drupal user whose uid is 1, and I’m making their new password ‘NewPassword’.
In the second case I’m updating the password for the Drupal user whose email address is ‘useremailaddress’, and I’m making their new password ‘NewPassword’.
Need fast SSD hosting, root access, 1 GB of RAM? with speedy support? Then I recommend Linode.
I have used Amazon’s EC2, GoDaddy, DreamHost, Google App Engine, and others for deploying my applications. But Linode is the one I recommend. Stable, fast, reliable, great support, cost-effective. Highly Recommended!
update table set column = trim(BOTH '"' FROM column);
For example, above removes the leading and trailing (prefix/suffic) quotes that excel adds upon csv export.
You could Select records with a prefix that was a quote (“) this way:
SELECT * FROM table WHERE column like '"%'
or a suffix quote (“) this way:
SELECT * FROM table WHERE column like ‘%”‘
Like in the console in your browser if you want to check a bunch of checkboxes on the page at once
Especially handy for Drupal permissions administration pages.